A Centre for Public Legal Education
Major Donor Manager - freelance
We require a donor manager to work on a consultancy basis to lead on an exciting new venture to launch a Centre for Public Legal Education.
As a major donor manager you will be working closely with our team to develop and implement a strategy for a major donor programme, raising both capital and non-capital funding from a range of donors.
A Centre for Public Legal Education will bring together two established projects within Advice Services Alliance and builds on the growth of the Public Legal Education movement in the UK and abroad.
Public Legal Education aims to improve lives and empower communities by helping people to deal with everyday issues like housing, family relationships and employment issues.
It helps people to making sense of the law and builds peoples capacity to influence the decisions that affect their lives as well as developing the knowledge and skills to participating actively in society.
Research shows that when people experience rights problems 60% don't know their rights and 70% are unaware of legal processes. These problems have a disproportionate effect on disadvantaged groups. Social and legal problems are often inextricably entwined and without effective action, problems escalate spawning further difficulties.
Who we are
The Public Legal Education Network was set up two years ago as a result of the Pleas Task Force which recommended the setting up of a PLE Centre to give a clear identity to public legal education.
Hosted by Advice Services Alliance, Plenet has attracted significant support across the legal, advice, and education sectors, has undertaken research and run pilot projects, and is now ready to take the next step to establish an independent centre.
Plenet has been funded by the Ministry of Justice but we want to extend financial support for PLE to a broader spread of organisations and individuals across the legal and business world.
Our aim is to launch the new organisation at the end of March 2011 and we need to attract funding to provide start-up capital for the new charity.
From October 2010 - March 2011
Your role will see you:
- working with our Director to develop a funding strategy to support the launch of a Centre for Public Legal Education
- support the successful implementation of this strategy
- Use your existing knowledge to identify and source donors from warm and cold channels
- write funding proposals and reports to engage major donors and solicit timely major gifts. This will include short concise case-studies and examples to in-depth descriptions of projects,written or presented verbally.
- working to defined targets as you identify, establish, develop and manage relationships with new major donors.
- to develop appropriate donor care plans for major donors and to participate in donor care meetings to ensure the best possible service is provided to donors the building and management of a donor database
- provide support for corporate fundraising events
Skills and experience:
- experience of generating donations from trusts and foundations, major donors, legacies and high profile personalities
- solid experience of dealing with high net-worth-individuals
- significant major donor fundraising experience including an in-depth knowledge of this field, a track record of winning substantial resources, and experience of liasing with wealthy and influential individuals
- successfully asking face-to-face for significant financial support or equivalent.
- knowledge of the legal world and large City firms.
- the ability to work with the Plenet team to ensure the correct information about our work is available for donors
- ability to assimilate the key arguments for PLE quickly and communicate them persuasively and enthusiastically
- ability to work effectively with the small team at Plenet.
- commitment to our organisational goals
- ability to work to tight deadlines and work on your own initiative to ensure opportunities are picked up and developed rapidly.
Plenet is at:
Advice Services Alliance
63 St Mary Axe
020 7398 1484