This information describes how to complain about HM Inspectorate of Prisons, or a member of its staff, if you are dissatisfied with how we have conducted ourselves.
Please note that we do not deal with complaints from, or on behalf of, individual prisoners: these should be raised with the relevant prison governor or director, or the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.
We are also completely independent of the following organisations:
- National Offender Management Service
- HM Prison Service
- private sector custodial providers
- UK Border Agency
Complaints against these bodies should be addressed via their complaints systems.
All complaints against HM Inspectorate of Prisons will be dealt with according to the following principles:
- all complaints will be treated seriously
- all complaints will treated in a fair, consistent and even-handed manner
- any investigations will be conducted appropriately and thoroughly, by someone who is not the party complained about
- we will respond speedily, courteously and in writing to all complaints
- we will make clear if there are any remaining avenues for further complaint
If you have a complaint, you should set it out in writing, within a reasonable time of the matter complained about, and either email it to email@example.com or post it to:
HM Inspectorate of Prisons
2 Monck Street
We aim to respond to you, acknowledging receipt of your complaint, within five working days. This reply will specify, if necessary, how long it will be before a more substantive reply will be provided.
If you remain dissatisfied with our response, we will make clear the avenues for further complaint.