Sheffield is consistently voted by business as one of the top 3 cities in the UK to locate new back office functions, for staff costs and value for money office space (UK Cities Monitor 2008 – Cushman & Wakefield).
This has made the city a hub for financial and professional services companies such as Abbey, Nationwide Building Society, DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary, HSBC, Irwin Mitchell, Kingfield Heath, Nabarro Nathanson and Aviva.
With a population of 540,000, Sheffield is the fourth-largest city in England. The city has a higher proportion of working aged people than the national average, with a higher ratio of those with advanced qualifications. Over 1.4 million people also live within an hour’s drive of the city. This ensures businesses located in the area can access a highly skilled, talented and experienced workforce. Average wages are also 7% lower than the national average.
The city was the birthplace of stainless steel and has an international reputation in the fastest growing sectors including metals processing, advanced engineering, medical technology and digital industries, supported by the city’s two leading universities, and specialist centres of excellence.
These include designfutures, the Advanced Manufacturing and Research Centre with Boeing, Castings Technology International and The Welding Institute (World Centre for Materials Joining Technology). The UK’s Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing and Research Centre (NAMRC) will also be based in the Sheffield region.
Locating in Sheffield means your business can benefit from one of the UK's most cost effective locations in terms of property and staff costs, with an international reputation for innovation and quality. The price of land is also around 60% less than locations in the South East of England.
Sheffield is also one of England's greenest cities, offering a fantastic quality lifestyle - a place that gives your staff a healthier balance between work and play.
• Sheffield has two universities with over 30,000 students, which generate over 12,000 graduates each year - providing a pool of talent for the region
• Over 1.4 million people live within a one hour journey from Sheffield
• The economy is worth over £8bn a year and growing faster than the national average
• Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield offers flights to over 45 destinations world-wide
• Sheffield offers one of the highest levels of funding assistance anywhere in Europe for inward investment
• The city has a long tradition of industry strengths in metals and glass technology, but is also a major centre for legal and financial services, creative, digital media and ICT businesses
• Sheffield is widely acknowledged as one of the UK’s foremost centres of digital specialisation and is home to one of only two applied e-learning services in the world
Subscribe to our Enewsletter