For businesses looking to expand or relocate, Leeds has been rated the top city for ‘value for money offices’ in the whole of Europe and the top UK city for ‘cost of staff’ (European Cities Monitor 2009 – Cushman & Wakefield).
The city offers a diverse and strong industry base with particular strength in the financial and professional services sector with a workforce of around 110,000, the largest financial services workforce outside London. Our excellent business infrastructure has attracted international businesses such as HSBC and O2 and over 30 national and international banks.
Leeds has a population of over 780,000 and over 2 million people live within a 30-minute drive of Leeds city centre. It’s one of the fastest growing cities in the UK with the second largest employment total outside London. Leeds has also been rated in the top 4 best places for locating headquarters, a business, a call centre or a back office function.
The city is also a leading centre for manufacturing, healthcare technology and retail, giving businesses located here access to a highly skilled and varied workforce of over two million people. With the lowest staff costs in Europe, Leeds is also rated in the number 1 in the UK for ‘value for money office space’ and third for ‘ease of recruiting’ (Cushman & Wakefield), businesses have access to a workforce and premises that offers excellent value for money.
The varied skill base is supported by two universities and an extensive range of training facilities, all ensuring that businesses not only have access to the most skilled and dedicated of employees, but also can benefit from industry leading research and development.
Investors can be assured that Leeds is not just an ideal business location, but offers all the modern lifestyle needs to people working here. With excellent shopping, entertainment and renowned cultural attractions ensuring Leeds is one of the country’s favourite cities.
• Leeds has been rated the top city for ‘value for money offices’ in the whole of Europe
• Leeds is rated in the top 4 best locations for locating headquarters, locating a business, locating back office functions, accessing markets, staff costs, availability of staff, transport links and value for money office space (Cushman & Wakefield)
• Leeds is one of the UK’s fastest growing cities with the second largest employment total outside London
• Its £14.3bn economy is projected to grow by approximately 27% over the next ten years rising to £18.2bn in 2020
• As a financial capital of the north and the UK’s third largest manufacturing centre, Leeds is the most diverse of the country’s top 15 employment centres
• Home to global brands such as Asda Walmart, Arla Foods, GDF Suez, Premier Farnell, Depuy International, O2, DLA Piper, KPMG, Eversheds and Unilever
• There are over 60,000 degree students at Leeds' two internationally acclaimed universities
• Around 420,000 people work in Leeds and the city is expected to generate over a quarter of employment growth in the region over the next ten years
• Over two million people live within a 30-minute drive of Leeds city centre, making it a key employment provider for neighbouring areas
• £4.3 billion has been invested in commercial property development in Leeds over the last ten years and a further £7 billion of projects are under construction or in the pipeline
• Leeds Bradford airport provides businesses in the region international connections to over 70 destinations
• The UK’s largest ports complex is one hour’s drive away with access into Europe
• Over two-thirds of the Leeds district is covered with green belt land and the city centre is less than 20 miles from the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
Subscribe to our Enewsletter