Cymraeg | Access Keys | Site Map | Feedback
Information About...
Advanced search


Welsh version of this page

Further Information

Court term Dates Hearings Admiralty, Commericial & London Mercantile Court Contact US Facilities and Services for Disabled visitors Frequently asked questions Hiring the RCJ Office of the Chief Magistrate Personal Support Unit Photocopying facilities RCJ Accessible routes RCJ facilities RCJ gym RCJ Tours Senior Court Costs Office Technology & Construction Court The legal year and term dates The Patents Court The Patents County Court The Probate Service RCJ self-guided tour Work Experience Royal Courts of Justice Advice Bureau

RCJ General Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What hours is the RCJ open?
A: The building is open to the public from 09.00 to 16.30 with offices being open from 10:00 to 16:30. The courts generally sit from 10.30 till 16.30 with a short adjournment between 1300 and 1400 for lunch. An open day is held each year in September

Q: What are the nearest underground stations?
A: Temple on the District and Circle lines, Holborn on the Central and Piccadilly lines and Chancery Lane on the Central Line.

Q: What buses go to the RCJ?
A: Bus numbers 4, 11, 15, 23, 26, 76, 172, and 341 stop outside the RCJ. Bus numbers 1, 59, 68, 91, 168, 171, 188, 243, 521 and X68 stop on Kingsway and Aldwych. Go to for more detailed travel information.

Q: Can I park at the RCJ?
A: If you have a disabled badge, you can park by prior arrangement, giving 24 hours notice. You need to fax (preferably through your solicitor and on their headed paper) the details of your name, car registration number, disabled badge number and the Court number you are attending to 020 7947 6622. This enables us to arrange parking in the car park closest to the Court. If you cannot fax, then you can ring on 020 7947 6506 to enquire on procedure.

Q: Where are the nearest public car parking facilities?
A: There is parking available in Lincolns Inn Fields and Maltravers St. The nearest car park is in New Court, Carey Street, with additional ones at Drury Lane, Holborn and Shoe Lane.

Q: What help is available at the RCJ?
A: The Personal Support Unit is available to help you whilst on site but are unable to give legal advice. They offer a wide number of services such as how to find your destination and also offer general support. You can find out more about their services by calling 020 7947 7701 or going to In addition, the Citizen's Advice Bureau (0845 120 3715) is on site and is open 10 - 1 and 2 - 4 for appointments to be made. There are Helpline phones around the RCJ, which can connect you with PSU, Security, and the Enquiry desk.

Q: Is any specific help available for those with financial problems?
A: The Citizen's Advice Bureau offers a Bankruptcy Court advice desk (new link)Monday to Friday between 10:00 and 13:00. It is located opposite Court 52 on the first floor of the Thomas More Building and operates on a first-come first-served basis.

Q: Where can I find out at which court my case is listed?
A: At the Enquiry Desk in the Main Hall or on the HMCS website (, click on Court Hearings then select the division where your hearing is taking place (e.g. Queen's Bench).

Q: How do I find the room I need?
A: Rooms are prefixed by letters relating to the building, and the first digit of the room number is the floor number. E.g.

Q: Can I go and sit in a court or walk around the building?
A: The RCJ complex is open to the public. Courts are open to members of the public over the age of 14, unless there is a notice on the doors saying 'In Camera' or 'In Private'. Large groups of more than 12 people are asked to split up into smaller groups and go into different courts so as not to cause too much disturbance.

Q: Where can I buy refreshments?
A: Café 26 is open from 9 till 3 Mon to Fri and sells hot and cold drinks and snacks. There is a trolley service in Queens Building. There are also vending machines in The Thomas More Building, next to Café 26, East Block North, East Block South (below the Fees Room) and Clifford's Inn.

Q: Have you got baby changing facilities at the RCJ?
A: Yes, there are facilities in Queens Building on the ground and first floors, off the Main Hall and in the basement of St Dunstans House.

Q: Are there public tours of the RCJ?
A: Yes. Public tours of the RCJ are usually run on the first and third Tuesday of each month (subject to numbers).Tours are run from 11am till 1pm and from 2pm to 4pm.Tours must be booked in advance through the tour organiser who may be contacted either by telephone on 020 7947 7684 (this is an answer phone so please leave a message) or via e-mail .

Q: Do you offer free tours for schools?
A: Yes. Tours for schools and universities are conducted on the third Wednesday of each month only. Requests must come directly from the educational establishment. Telephone 020 7947 7741/7729 for further information.

Q: What do I do if I have an accident or need First Aid treatment whilst visiting the RCJ?
A: Contact a member of Security (0207-947-6260) or ask a member of HMCS staff to do this for you. They will administer First Aid Treatment and will arrange for an Accident Report Form to be completed.

Q: What happens in the event of an emergency evacuation?
A: The RCJ has an automated voice alarm system throughout the whole complex, which gives instruction on procedures in the event of an emergency.

Q: How 'green' is the RCJ?
A: We are continually trying to find ways in which we can help the environment. Ink cartridges, toners, drums and white paper are recycled on a weekly basis. We have a mixed recycling scheme, which includes paper, cardboard, tin and plastic and will be available in key public areas through out the complex. Energy saving devices such as light sensors, push down taps and temperature monitoring are implemented as far as reasonably practicable.

Q: Are Video Conferencing facilities available at the RCJ?
A: Video Conferencing is available for use in conjunction with proceedings in the RCJ. For information on how to book the Video Conferencing Suite, please use the link listed under RCJ Court Access Information or contact the Accommodation Support Unit on 020 7947 7609 / 6800.

Q: Are there facilities available for me to hold private discussions with my Legal team?
A: There are a number of "Consultation Rooms" available to hire throughout the RCJ. For information on how to book a consultation room, please use the link listed under RCJ Court Access Information or contact the user's office on 020 7947 6356.

Q: Are there any facilities available, within the RCJ, where I can get photocopies of documents?
A: Public photocopying can be undertaken by the RCJ "Reprographic Unit" For information regarding this facility, please contact the unit on 0207 947 6166.

 ^ Top
This page was last updated on 27 September, 2010 . Web team.
Contact us. Terms and conditions.