You are required to make arrangements for an approved UK Crew Agreement (Pre-approved (ALC 1) (BSF) 1(d) plus attachments or ALC (NFD) 1(d)) or a non-standard version approved by UK Ship Register.
There are two standard approved agreements: ‘Federated’ or ‘Non-Federated’ both of which ensure compliance with the minimum standards as required under international conventions. These are required to be supported by a List of Crew.
As an alternative we will give consideration to other forms of crew agreement proposed by a ship owner/operator. However, any such agreement will be required to comply with UK merchant shipping and general legislation and may not contain anything which conflicts with such legislation or seeks to apply the law of any country outside the UK. If approval of a non standard agreement is required, such approval should be sought as soon as possible as it is a requirement that an approved crew agreement be in place before a UK registered vessel goes to sea.
The provisions of the Staff Handbook and any extra provisions added to the Contractual Clauses must be in compliance with UK legislation, particularly merchant shipping legislation covering seafarer’s and the employer’s rights and obligations.
To meet the Crew Agreement requirements you will need the following:
- (ALC 1) - UK Crew Agreement Outer Cover.
- (ALC 1) (BSF) 1(d) (plus attachments) - Federated Agreement for use on ships previously operating under National Maritime Board conditions
ALC (NFD) 1(d) - Non Federated Agreement for ships not operating under a Federated Agreement . This Agreement meets the basic requirements of ILO Convention 22
Non-standard Contractual Clause - specifically approved by MCA
- ALC 1(a) - List of crew who are signatories to the Crew Agreement.
- ALC 1(b) - List of crew exempt from requirement to sign a Crew Agreement
- ALC 1(c) - List of Young Persons
- ALC 6 - Copy of Crew Agreement sheet:.
- Log 1 - UK Official Log Books ( required for all ships).
- Log 2 - Suplementary Log Book (required for passenger ships)
More information on these requirements are contained in MGN 148(M) or can be obtained through your CAM.
Crew Agreement documentation and Log books can be obtained over the counter at any MCA Marine Office in the UK or by post through our distribution agents:
Tel: +44 (0) 845 603 2431
Fax: +44 (0) 1375 484 556
It should be noted however that EC Group need to be advised of the actual forms required and the quantity. They are unable to respond to requests for “a UK Crew Agreement” or “ a set of Articles for a UK ship”.