STEM teacher/leader checklist
These are the questions which you, as the teacher responsible for an enhancement and enrichment opportunity, may need to consider when managing an individual enhancement and enrichment activity and its relation to the rest of the science curriculum.
- Which group/class/year are you considering for the enhancement and enrichment activity? What topic is appropriate? You could discuss this with pupils to find out their ideas and attitudes to science.
- What learning objectives will be supported/enhanced? How does a particular opportunity for a pupil/group/class fit into the coherent departmental provision? If this is not clear, you could discuss this with your subject leader and other members of the science department staff.
- Are there enhancement and enrichment opportunities which enable links to be strengthened between the STEM subject areas? If not, how might the opportunity you are planning support and be supported by learning taking place with the mathematics and design and technology departments? How will teachers in these departments know about the opportunity you are providing?
- Where are the possible sources of resources and contacts to support your planned activity? The STEMNET Brokers (link opens in new window) and STEM Directory (link opens in new window) may be able to help.
- What are the constraints on what you can offer? Some aspects to consider include staffing, preparation time, timing within the academic year, timing within the week, length of events, frequency and costs. In particular, think about the costs/benefits of providing an enhancement and enrichment opportunity within school compared to going out. Make sure you are aware of, and have followed, whole-school policies regarding visitors and trips before commencing the activity. Make sure all visitors have been CRB checked.
- How will the outcomes of the planned enhancement and enrichment be recognised by pupils? How will the experience and the learning outcomes be recorded and evaluated?
- How will you manage tracking of the individual experiences through a pupil’s science education? Are there pupil records to which this could be added? You may need to consult the subject leader about this.
The next page in this sequence provides a list of recommended actions to carry out before, during and after an activity to maximise the impact of the enhancement and enrichment provision on the learning and motivation of the pupils.