Ministerial Car Service
Ministers are permitted to use an official car for official business and for home to office journeys within a reasonable distance of London on the understanding that they would normally be carrying classified papers on which they would be working. Where practicable, Ministers are encouraged to use public transport.
The number of Ministers with allocated cars and drivers will be kept to a minimum, taking into account security and other relevant considerations. Other Ministers will be entitled to use cars from the Ministerial Car Pool as needed.
The Allocated Service is aimed primarily at Cabinet Ministers. It provides the use of a car and driver as directed by the customer. This service is charged for on an annual basis and the cost is dependent on the type of vehicle required.
For added peace of mind, we also provide security vehicles and specially trained drivers for those whose security needs demand it.
Ministerial Car Pool
The Ministerial Car Pool provides an on demand service specifically for UK Government Ministers using a pool of cars and security cleared, professionally trained drivers. The core features of this Service include:
- Available 24 hours a day every day of the year;
- A unique insight into the machinery of government - Our drivers appreciate the need for immediate response to situations such as Division Bells and are able to transport Red Boxes in a secure and discreet manner.
- Recognised vehicles and drivers - Allows ease of access to government premises, state events, the Palace of Westminster and rapid delivery to Members Entrance, Speakers Court and Peers Entrance for voting.
- Security vetted, professionally trained drivers;
- 24 hour, 7 days a week support from the GCS Operations Centre.
How the service works
You will be required to book a driver and car from the Ministerial Car Pool in advance.
Although cars will be located as close to our customers as possible, prior booking will ensure that your car will be available exactly when you require it. You will receive details about your car and driver in advance of pick-up
You will pay for usage of the car pool on a 'pay as you go' basis. We would expect you to adhere to the Public Sector Payment Policy (payment 5 days from receipt of invoice.
Journeys will be charged on a base to base pricing model charged at a rate of £60 per hour. Regular journeys between a minister's home and place of work will be charged at a special fixed rate
- Our vehicles
Our modern fleet of cars offers high levels of performance and comfort to guarantee a safe and pleasant journey every time. We use low carbon emission cars to reduce the impact of our service on the environment. We also service and maintain all of our cars in-house to ensure they are always reliable and in excellent condition.