The Churches Conservation Trust

 
 

View church images
Elston Church

[These images will open in a new browser window]


You are here: Home > Visit Churches > Find a CCT church > No Dedication, Elston

No Dedication, Elston

Easily missed, this solitary barn-like chapel stands peacefully in a field north-east of the quiet village of Elston. The most significant external feature is the Norman doorway, with zig-zag decoration nearly a thousand years old. Look out for the graffiti from 1717 on the door jamb. Much of the fabric dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. In the early 19th century it was refitted simply with pine pews and a gallery, but after decades of disuse and decay the chapel was placed in the care of the Trust. Recent work has uncovered several layers of wall paintings, the latest being Georgian biblical texts. A large royal coat of arms is featured on the north wall.

 

Details

Dedication: No Dedication

Address: Elston Chapel, Old Chapel Lane, Elston , Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG23 5NY

Click here for map

Opening hours: Open daily
Parking facilities: Yes
Toilet facilities: No
Accessibility issues: Access across field

OS Ref no: SK 761 482
Directions: 5 miles south west of Newark, off A46 (Fosse Way) to the village of Elston, church in field to the north east of Elston.
Transport: Parking nearby in village. Nearest railway station: Newark (5 miles).

Nearby attractions: The Workhouse Southall (NT); Belton House (NT); Grantham House (NT)