Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

How to tax your vehicle with a reminder

About three weeks before your tax disc runs out, you should get a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Use the V11 reminder to renew your tax online, by phone, by post or in person.

When to apply

If you receive a V11 renewal from DVLA, you can use this to renew your tax disc or make a SORN. You can do this from the fifth day of the month that your current tax disc or SORN is due to expire.

If you use your registration certificate (V5C), you can apply for a tax disc or make a SORN from the first day of the month.

Taxing a car, motorcycle or light goods vehicle

You can use the V11 reminder to tax:

Online or by phone

To tax your vehicle online or by phone you’ll need to use the reference number on your V11 reminder.

At a Post Office® branch or by post

Use the V11 reminder in person at any Post Office® branch that issues tax discs or by post to the address shown on the reminder form.

You need to take or send the following:

  • the completed V11 reminder
  • insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc starts
  • valid MOT certificate – if the car or motorcycle is over three years old – must be valid when the tax disc starts (an electronic check of your MOT will also be made)
  • the payment shown on the reminder (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

The V11 reminder will be returned to you when the tax disc is issued.

Change of address or name

If you have changed your name or address, write your new details in section six of registration certificate (V5C). Sign the certificate and include it with your tax application at a Post Office® or DVLA local office.

Changes to tax class, fuel type or engine size

If there have been changes to your vehicle like engine size, you won't be able to use your V11 reminder to tax at the Post Office®.

Vehicle is due to be taxed while you’re abroad

If you’re going to be abroad when your vehicle tax expires, you can tax online, tax in advance or ask someone to tax for you.

Taxing a lorry, bus or other type of vehicle

Most vehicles can be taxed at a Post Office® branch that issues tax discs using the V11 reminder. For some heavy goods vehicles (HGV) DVLA issues a V85/1 (HGV licence reminder) which can only be used at a DVLA local office.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys