How Sea Change works
Information about how much funding is available, the aims and objectives of the project and the definitions that are used for both "seaside resort" and "culture".
How much funding is available?
Sea Change is a capital grants programme of £45 million over three years given to local authorities.
Grants must be match funded:
- a minimum of 50% for grants up to £1 million
- a minimum of 100% for grants over £2 million.
Funding is available for a range of cultural, heritage or public space projects including (but not limited to): theatres, museums, libraries, galleries, archives, outdoor performance spaces, landscapes, or projects which promote new forms of cultural engagement.
Who will get funding?
- annual large grants to commissioned local authorities of between £2 million and £4 million
- annual open application grants of between £200,000 and £1 million
Our priority will be to invest in the most deprived seaside resorts in England, and in the best quality applications.
What are the aims and objectives?
We aim to use culture to make a difference to seaside resorts, contributing to sustainable, social and economic regeneration.
Our objectives are:
- to back investment plans from seaside resorts in culture, heritage and public space, which could act as a catalyst to support regeneration of the resort
- to boost confidence and pride in the local community
- to share learning between local authorities and other partners exploring ways to support seaside resorts via culture and heritage
- to ensure that our investment is matched by other partners so that we maximise the benefit of our funding.
Who are the Sea Change partners?
- Arts Council England
- BIG Lottery Fund
- Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment
- English Heritage
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Museums, Libraries and Archives Council
- Regional Development Agencies
CABE is the lead partner. Our role is to provide advice, assess applications and manage the decision-making process.