Public space enabling
Space enabling is a specialist service for clients working on public space projects, provided by CABE Space.
CABE Space provides expert support and advice for clients working on a variety of public realm projects and schemes, from strategic planning to site-specific projects. This includes helping clients to develop open space strategies and green infrastructure frameworks, alongside work on specific streets and squares.
Space enabling is currently working on over 100 strategies and projects across England. Clients include public sector bodies, private sector companies and organisations in the voluntary and community sector.
Open space strategies and frameworks
We help public bodies with:
- open space and regional planning frameworks
- preparation of planning policy guidance assessments for open spaces
- the contribution of public space to local development frameworks
- establishing visions and action plans for improving the delivery of councils’ public spaces.
Individual public space projects
We offer support on individual projects with:
- establishing project teams and cross-departmental working groups
- preparing project development and competition briefs
- setting project programmes and delivery structures
- considering long-term management and maintenance plans and programmes.
Space enabling projects
Case studies of key projects we have worked on:
- Ashford ring road
- Blackburn with Darwen open space strategy
- Eastside city park
- Harlow Town Park
- Gillett Square, Hackney
- Mersey Waterfront spatial strategy
- River Nene Regional Park
- Stamford Gateway
- Tees Valley green infrastructure strategy
- Torbay green space strategy
Space enabling update day 2008
In March 2008 we held an update day in East London:
- Read more about what happened at the update day
- Watch Towards a fine city for people by Lars Gemzoe
- Watch Solar cities of the future by Herbert Girardet
Green space strategy training day
We held an training day in Dudley for writing green space strategies.