Terms and conditions
Areas of outstanding urban beauty competition.
- The project and competition are organised by the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).
- The subject for the CABE photograph and caption competition is “areas of outstanding urban beauty”. The theme is open to individual interpretation, but photos should capture a beautiful urban environment. Entries must focus on urban areas, be those inner-city or village centres. Photographs can feature buildings, public spaces, details of buildings or spaces, views or any other urban area. CABE’s decision as to the eligibility of individual photographs will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Photographs entered must be taken in England.
- Entrants can submit any number of entries, in colour or black and white. Every entry must consist of both a photograph and caption to be eligible to win.
- Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter, clearer etc, but not manipulate the content. CABE reserves the right to exclude any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity.
- Employees of CABE, as well as their immediate families, may enter, however they cannot win the competition. Entrants under the age of 12 years need to have parental or guardian consent to enter.
- Entries should where possible be submitted online via CABE’s website, but if that isn’t possible they should be sent to: CABE, 1 Kemble Street, London, WC2B 4AN to reach CABE by Monday 18 October. Hard copy entries should be clearly marked with your name, address, telephone number and where the photo was taken. Entries will not be returned, so please remember to keep a copy. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
- The competition closes at 5pm (UK time) on Monday 18 October 2010. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- CABE cannot accept any responsibility for any problem with the postal service which may result in any entry being lost or delayed. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
- All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Composition of the photograph
- Originality of the photograph and caption
- Interpretation of the theme
- How apt the caption is for the photograph
- The photographs will be judged through the following process. A judging panel will review all entries and select a shortlist of eight based on the above criteria. From this shortlist they will then select one entry to win the competition.
- Each of the shortlisted entrants will be contacted by a member of CABE within a week of judging, which is scheduled for 29 October 2010. Shortlisted entries will be displayed on the CABE website, on CABE’s Flickr account and on CABE’s Facebook page.
- By submitting your image and caption to the areas of outstanding urban beauty competition, you represent and warrant to CABE that your submitted image does not contain any offensive or defamatory content, that it is an original photograph taken by you, free from any third party rights, in particular that under no circumstances does it constitute, whether entirely or in parts, any infringement upon the intellectual property rights or any other rights of third parties. This shall also apply if the photograph is used for promotional purposes in connection with the promotion of the competition as specified in paragraph 15 below.
- Further, by submitting your entry to the competition, you provide CABE with a limited, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, worldwide, royalty-free licence (but not the obligation), which licence is effective in perpetuity, for the duration of the Project and until the end of the judging of the competition, to use, copy, modify, translate and/or adapt, distribute, publicly display by any means and in any media and create derivative works of, and copy, distribute and publicly display such derivative works of your entry solely in connection with the inclusion of your entry in activities related to, and the promotion of, the competition and the Project, without any further notice or remuneration to you. The rights shall be applied to all existing or future media, and in particular all physical, optical, magnetic, analogical, digital and electronic media, including media such as hardcopies, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, hard disks, computers and servers, the Internet, all private or public telecommunication networks, by cable, satellite, radio networks, etc. By submitting your entry to the competition you also give CABE a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, irrevocable licence in perpetuity to display and archive your entry on CABE’s website, www.cabe.org.uk ("Website"), on CABE’s Flickr account and on CABE’s Facebook page in relation to the project. In the event that your entry is displayed on CABE’s website, it will be displayed with the name you supply.
- Any personal information of entrants will only be used and, where necessary, disclosed to third parties, for the purposes of running the competition.
- CABE reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales. This competition is administered by CABE.
- By submitting your entry to the area of outstanding urban beauty photography competition you are deemed to have accepted the above terms and conditions.