Prioritising high quality design in a complex and ambitious regeneration project through using specialist and impartial design expertise.
Unity Square is to be a high-profile contribution to the regeneration of Ilford town centre. It will consist of a new public space, a mixture of housing, commercial space and a new theatre.
In 2006, an award of £4.34 million from central government through the growth area fund (GAF II) programme allowed London Borough of Redbridge to invest in land acquisition and highways works to support the development, and to gain access to expert support from CABE enablers in achieving good design.
How the CABE enabler helped
- reviewed the criteria for the developer selection process and recommended that a minimum score for design quality be incorporated
- assisted in selecting a design team by providing impartial advice on the proposals and abilities of the bidding teams
- advised on ensuring that design quality would not be diluted through the planning process
- highlighted the need to have a specialist design advisor with technical expertise for the procurement of new theatre facilities
- helped to write the brief to assist with the appointment.