Number of units
518; phase 1: 246 and learning centre; phase 2: 272.
500 private; 18 social rent
150 x 2 bedroom; 350 x 1 bedroom; 18 x 3 bedroom
Lead architect/designer and developer
Allford Hall Monaghan Morris / Redrow Regeneration (Barking) Ltd
Urban high density
Phase 1 2007; phase 2 2010
London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
Town Square, Barking
Redrow Regeneration (Barking) Ltd and London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
London Borough of Barking & Dagenham (phase 1); London Thames Gateway Development Corporation (phase 1 Reserved Matters & phase 2)
Sources of funding
Redrow Regeneration; London Thames Gateway Development Corporation helped with site assembly; Barking Learning Centre was jointly funded by Communities and Local Government, University of East London and Barking and Dagenham College with contributions from the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham and Redrow Regeneration Ltd.
Phase 1 £35million; phase 2 £36 million
- Structural/civil engineer: Buro Happold (phase 1) and Beattie Watkinson (phase 2)
- Landscape architect: Grant Associates
- Graphic design: Studio Myerscough
- Public realm architect: muf architecture/art
- Abrahams, Tim (2010) ‘Barking Central’ in Blueprint, 27 May 2010 (accessed at http://www.blueprintmagazine.co.uk/index.php/architecture/barking-central/)
- Long, Kieran (2007) ‘Regenerating Barking: AJ Building Study’ in the Architects Journal, 13 September 2007.
- Woodman, Ellis (2009), ‘Square dancing at Barking Central’ in Building Design 27 November 2009 (accessed at http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/square-dancing-at-barking-central/3153931.article)