This snapshot, taken on
07/01/2011
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
 
 
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Tilford Bridges, Surrey

Aerial view of Tilford Bridges
Project Information
  • Client: Surrey County Council
  • Principal designer: Scott Wilson
  • Principal contractor: Carillion Regional Civil Engineering
  • Contract value: 805,000

About the project

The old and the new have been skilfully and sensitively brought together at Tilford. The 13th-century Tilford West Bridge - an English Heritage scheduled monument - across the River Wey has been restored and Tilford New Bridge constructed to replace a semi-permanent crossing built by the army in 1941. The bridges form an important local link and during construction a temporary footbridge was constructed to minimise disruption.

Harmony between the old and new bridges has been achieved by using an ironstone surface to the new piers and timber parapets to the new bridge. The minimal use of signage and other street furniture ensures that the bridges and their new approaches do not detract from the natural landscape.

The timber used for the parapets - oak for the old bridge and ekki on the new bridge - is from sustainable sources and a large portion of the materials from the demolition of the old bridge were recycled.

The client, designer and contractor consulted effectively with English Heritage, the Environment Agency, Surrey Wildlife Trust and Tilford Parish Council.

The judges said: 'The simplicity of the solution belies the complexity of the problem'.

In this section: