What are P scales and P levels?
Why use the P scales?
The P scales are designed to be used for:
- summative assessments
- best-fit professional judgements, used over a period of time
- measuring linear progress towards NC level 1
- measuring lateral progress – within a P level or across subjects
- providing a means to set targets for individuals or cohorts of pupils.
P scale use
The P scales were originally designed for:
- supporting the target setting process
- data collection from summer 2005
- pupils aged 5–16 years
- use at the end of key stages – or more frequently if a pupil makes substantial progress.
The P scales were not designed as:
- an alternative curriculum
- a test or curriculum that teachers are encouraged to ‘teach to’
- a replacement of effective existing assessment frameworks
- a system only relevant for special schools.