Sustainability was embedded in the bid for the 2012 Games. We committed to:
We want to use the Games as a catalyst for change, for the regeneration of and improvement of quality of life in East London and encourage more sustainable living across the whole of the UK.
Our approach is based on the WWF/BioRegional concept of ‘One Planet Living®’ - to help us live within the world’s resources, rather than using three planets worth of resources as we currently do in the UK.
The London 2012 Sustainability Plan: Towards a One Planet 2012 highlights how we aim to host the most sustainable Games to date and the progress we are making.
The Sustainability Plan focuses on five key themes:
1. Climate change: minimising greenhouse gas emissions and ensuring legacy facilities are able to cope with the impacts of climate change.
2. Waste: minimising waste at every stage of the project, ensuring no waste is sent to landfill during Games-time, and encouraging the development of new waste processing infrastructure in East London.
3. Biodiversity: minimising the impact of the Games on wildlife and their habitats in and around Games venues, leaving a legacy of enhanced habitats where we can eg the Olympic Park.
4. Inclusion: Promoting access for all and celebrating the diversity of London and the UK, creating new employment, training and business opportunities.
5. Healthy living: Inspiring people across the country to take up sport and develop active, healthy and sustainable lifestyles.
To ensure we stick to our promises, an independent body, the Commission for a Sustainable London 2012, has been set up to monitor us and report back to the public.
We aspire to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012 in compliance with the British Standard for Sustainable Events (BS 8901).
As part of this approach we must ensure that the events we host leading up to the Games are as sustainable as possible. We have published our Sustainability Guidelines for Corporate and Public Events to help us.
A key aspect to our Guidelines, and indeed our approach to the Games overall, is ensuring that we only use or hire what we need.
Read more in our Sustainability Guidelines for Events
We're checking the environment around the Olympic Park site to limit dust, noise and other pollution
Changing Places volunteering