The British Army in Gibraltar
The British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar is a high rocky headland on the southern coast of Spain. With an area of just over 2 square miles and a population of 30,000, its location is at the western entrance to the Mediterranean, where the Straits between Gibraltar and Morocco are only 15 miles wide.
Gibraltar was captured from Spain in 1704 and was formally ceded to Britain in 1713 by the Treaty of Utrecht. Since then, Spain has laid claim to Gibraltar on a number of occasions. However, as was demonstrated in 1967, when an overwhelming majority voted to retain their links with Britain, Gibraltarians consider themselves to be British rather than Spanish
In 1992 the last British regular Infantry battalion left Gibraltar, and was replaced by the Royal Gibraltar Regiment. Despite this, the headquarter staff appointments are still filled by members of the British Armed Forces. Each year Territorial and regular Army soldiers from Britain are given opportunities to spend two weeks in the colony to take part in low-level training.