Overseas marriages and civil partnerships
This guide provides some basic advice. There is more detailed information in our Births, marriages and deaths and Legalisation sections.
You should also see our travel checklist.
Planning your wedding
The British embassy in the country you wish to marry in will be happy to provide some general information on marriage in that country.
You should also:
- contact the local authorities of the country for more comprehensive advice. See Foreign Embassies in the UK for more information
- find out what specific documents the local authorities require - these may take some months to prepare
- check if you need visas to enter the country
- check if you need to provide proof of residency in the country – in some cases this is over 30 days
- if you are planning to marry in a tropical country visit your GP as soon as possible before you go to check what vaccinations you’ll need
- buy adequate travel insurance - you may also want to buy specialist insurance which will cover the ceremony
- get written quotes from wedding planners, venues or other services before you sign contracts
- remember any guests you invite will need to obtain visas, get relevant vaccinations and purchase travel insurance too!
You'll find more information about the legal documents you might need in the weddings sections and in our Legalisation section.
If you're visiting friends and family overseas, don't forget to prepare fully for your journey
Share this with: