Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Thursday, 6 January 2011

Help with heating your home

If you are over 60, disabled or on a low income you may be able to get financial help with heating your home. You may also be able to get benefits that help you make home improvements, such as insulation. Find out about the schemes and benefits available, and if you are eligible for help.

Cold weather payment

If you are on a low income, a Cold Weather Payment may be available to help you for each week of very cold weather in your area.

Winter Fuel Payment

You may be able to claim Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 5 July 1950. To be eligible you must also have been living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland on any day in the week of 20–26 September 2010.

Energy grants

An energy grant can help you pay for a new boiler or loft insulation. Find out more about energy grants in the article 'Claim an energy grant'. 

Warm Front scheme in England

The Warm Front scheme can provide financial help if you need help paying for heating and insulation improvements in your home. You may be eligible for Warm Front if you are getting income or disability-related benefits.

Heating rebate scheme

Even if you don't qualify for a Warm Front grant, you may still be eligible for the heating rebate scheme. You could claim a £300 heating rebate towards the cost of repairing or installing a heating system if you:

  • don’t receive a qualifying benefit
  • are aged 60 or over
  • own your home or rent it from a private landlord

For more information and to apply, call free on 0800 316 6012 (please quote MK851). Telephone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. Saturdays 8am to 5pm.

Help with heating your home in Scotland

The Energy Assistance Package in Scotland helps reduce fuel bills and improve the energy efficiency of homes. The scheme operates a free advice line on 0800 512 012. Anyone can call to get advice on how to reduce their bills and better heat their homes.

If you are over 60, on a low income or disabled you may be able to get financial help, for example to install home insulation.

Keeping warm in winter service in your local area

Your council may have information and advice on keeping warm in winter in your local area. The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local's council website.

Useful contacts

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys