Jump to content

European citizens

This section is for citizens of countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. It explains how they and members of their families (who may not be EEA or Swiss citizens themselves) can come to, live in and work in the UK.

If you are not an EEA or Swiss national, or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national, you should read the sections on visiting the UK, studying in the UK or working in the UK to find out how you can apply to come here.

Rights and responsibilities

This page explains whether EEA and Swiss nationals and their families can come to the UK to visit, live and work.


This page explains how EEA and Swiss nationals and members of their families in the UK can apply for registration certificates or residence cards to confirm their rights of residence under European law. It also explains how they can apply for confirmation of permanent residence after livinghere for five years.

Worker Registration Scheme

This page describes the Worker registration scheme for Czech, Estonian, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Slovakian and Slovenian nationals, and explains how to register with us under the scheme when taking work in the UK.

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals

Most Bulgarian and Romanian nationals cannot start working in the UK without our permission. This page explains how they can apply for that permission.

Terms explained

  • European Economic Area

    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU) but citizens of these countries have the same rights to enter, live in and work in the United Kingdom as EU citizens.

All glossary terms