Complaints regarding General Register Office

Complaints Procedure

Step one: If you have a complaint about how we handled your enquiry or case, please contact us. You can do this:

By email or through our online complaints form

If your complaint relates to a certificate which you have ordered from GRO, you can use our online complaints form to send us a message. When you submit this form it will generate an email to us with the details you have supplied.

If your complaint relates to any other aspect of GRO's work apart from certificates, do not use the form above, but email the details of your complaint to

By Phone

  • On + 44 (0)845 603 7788
    Monday to Friday: 8.00am - 8.00pm
    Saturday: 9.00am - 4.00pm

Our contact centre staff will do their utmost to put things right. If we cannot give you an immediate answer, we will agree a convenient time to call you back, as we may need to arrange for someone with more detailed knowledge in relation to your circumstances to speak to you.

In writing

Please send your letter to:

Customer Service Manager
Room E101
General Register Office
Identity and Passport Service
Trafalgar Road

When you write please give us:

  • Full details of the problem
  • Any reference number you have already been given by us if this is an ongoing case or certificate order (this is usually found in the top right hand corner of any letter we have sent you or provided at the time of ordering a certificate)
  • Information so we can contact you (name, address, postcode, day and evening phone numbers, and a fax number and email address of you have these)

When we get your complaint we will:

  • Let you know we have received it (if it was a letter or email)
  • investigate your complaint
  • respond to you within two weeks, either with a full reply or to let you know what is happening if we have not finished our investigation

Please remember that while we always aim to provide the best possible service, we have to work within the provisions set out in the legislation covering the work of our Office. Sometimes it may be that we simply cannot meet your wishes because the relevant piece of legislation does not allow it. In those circumstances, we shall always aim to explain to you why we feel unable to act further.

Step two: If you have followed step one and are not satisfied with our response, please write to, or email:

Communications Manager, Room 109
General Register Office
Identity and Passport Service
Trafalgar Road


Step three: If you have followed steps one and two and are still not satisfied, you may ask your Member of Parliament (MP) to raise the matter with the Registrar General or the Home Office minister responsible for us.

Step four: If you are still not satisfied, you can ask your MP to request an investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman). You can only do this through your MP.

The Ombudsman's role is to investigate complaints by members of the public about the way government departments and their executive agencies have treated them.

We realise that sometimes our mistakes may cause you expense or financial loss. In these cases, you should follow the instructions in step one and write us a letter. With the letter you should send any documents that prove your claim. We only normally offer compensation for financial loss as a result of delays in our guaranteed services, e.g. priority certificate orders or certificates ordered by special delivery, where these have not been despatched on the due date.