This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Thursday, 25 November 2010

Find schools, childcare and family services and Sure Start Children's Centres

Find out about primary and secondary schools, childcare, nurseries, family services, Sure Start Children's Centres and out of school care near you. Find Ofsted reports, information on school performance and contact details.

How to use this service

Use the links below and type in the name of the service, a town name, a local authority (LA) or a full or partial postcode. The name of each service or school is a link which will take you through to further details about that school, service, nursery or childcare facility.


The schools finder can be used to:

  • find primary and secondary schools
  • find Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) reports
  • find achievement and attainment tables
  • find school profiles
  • find contact details and maps
  • find details of extended services

Schools infomation is provided by the schools themselves, Ofsted and LAs.


The childcare finder can be used to find childminders, out of school care and holiday schemes, playgroups, preschools and toddler groups.

Information about childcare is taken from the Family Information Directory (FIDy), which is provided by LAs.

Family services

The family services finder can be used to find a range of information and support on:

  • employment, crime and immigration
  • families – being a parent or carer (eg, adoption, bereavement and single parents)
  • leisure and recreation (eg, activities for disabled children, community centres, museums and libraries)
  • health (eg, allergies, mental health and medication)
  • learning and skills (eg, preschool education, courses and apprenticeships)
  • relationships (eg, divorce, family mediation and counselling)

Information about family services is taken from the Family Information Directory (FIDy), which is provided by LAs.

Sure Start Children's Centres

The children's centres finder can be used to find contact details and location maps of Sure Start Children's Centres.

Information about children's centres is provided by the centres themselves and by LAs.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Spending Review

Spending Review 2010

The plans for public spending

Jobseeker's Allowance online

If you need to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance, do it online at a time that suits you

Access keys