The quality of primary leadership is critical to the progress children make. This is because the foundations laid in primary schools powerfully influence their future lives and chances.
Key issues facing primary school leadership
The National College is leading on a number of strands of work relating to the key issues identified in our advice to the former secretary of state for children, schools and families in August 2007. These issues are identified below.
- Leadership capacity, especially, but not exclusively, in small rural primary schools.
- Increasing the penetration of school business management in primary schools to help headteachers focus even more on leading learning and teaching.
- The implications for leadership of the new primary curriculum.
- Changing models of school organisation and leadership – partnership, collaboration and federation – including executive headship.
- The ways in which effective leaders can influence school improvement within and beyond their own schools.