The task file is designed for use in an area of high or moderate linguistic diversity in which student teachers/trainees have access to bilingual learners and to school staff with responsibility for EAL. It includes the following tasks:
- Profiling of existing knowledge
- Observation of a learner
- Interview with a teacher responsible for EAL
- Finding out about teaching resources
- Analysing the demands of a task and/or a text
- Finding out about assessment used in school
- Working with refugee children.
The appendices include a review of Cummins' theoretical framework, Stages of English, the extended scale from the QCA’s A Language in Common, a planning pro-forma and a detailed reading and website list. The file has been used successfully for three years by students teachers and trainees practising in east London schools.
University of East London