Integrated Children's System (ICS)
ICS Improvement: Guidance package (March 2010)
This package of guidance has been developed with the ICS Expert Panel to support local authorities (LAs) in making improvements to ICS. It includes a Strategic manager’s guide, and guidance on ICS recording formats, Consolidating plans and reviews and Using ICS to record evidence of whether a child is suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm.
ICS Improvement: Newlsetter and new guidance material (16 Dec 2009)
A newsletter for ICS champions, two new guidance documents Improving the usability of ICS systems and The Integrated Children’s System and 'interoperability', and an updated ICS Usability Toolkit.
ICS Improvement: Update and guidance package (22 Oct 2009)
Letter to directors of children’s services providing an update on progress on improvements to ICS and a package of guidance to support LAs on improving local systems.
ICS: Procurement support proposals (30 July 2009)
This letter to directors of children's services sets out more detailed proposals, as promised in Baroness Morgan's letter of 22 June and reiterated in her 23 July letter, for addressing the Social Work Task Force recommendation that DCSF should provide procurement support to LAs in relation to the Integrated Children's System (ICS).
LAC (3006090002): ICS Improvement Capital Grant Funding for 2009-10 (23 July 2009)
This Local Authority Circular (LAC) confirms local authorities' allocations from a £6.4 million capital grant to support improvements in local ICT systems for children's social care, and sets out the purpose and conditions of grant. The circular makes it clear that compliance with Integrated Children's System (ICS) specifications is not a condition of grant. This flexibility is part of the package of measures to help support authorities to improve local ICT systems for children's social care, as outlined in Baroness Morgan's letter of 22 June 2009 to Directors of Children's Services (DCSs).
ICS: Taking forward improvement plans - Letter from Baroness Morgan to DCSs (23 July 2009)
This letter provides further information about funding, usability and other support for LAS to help support improvements to local ICT systems for children's social care. This is an update to the Minister's letter of 22 June 2009 on responding to the recommendations of the Social Work Task Force.
Letter from Baroness Morgan to DCSs (22 June 2009)
On 22 June 2009 Baroness Morgan, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Children, Young People and Families sent this letter to all Directors of Children's Services, responding to recommendations made in May by the Social Work Task Force in relation to the Integrated Children's System.
The Integrated Children's System (ICS) is a framework for working with children in need and their families.
The practice and case record keeping is supported by information technology that is designed to handle a large amount of information on individual children. This area of the website is intended for anyone working to implement the ICS.
The resources for professionals working with the ICS are divided into the following sections:
- About the Integrated Children's System - This section provides general information about the ICS for all managers and practitioners.
- Briefing papers - This section contains the full set of ICS briefing papers.
- Presentations - A series of presentations and regional seminars supporting ICS.
- Practice resources - is a set of detailed practice and management resources for those working to implement the ICS, including exemplars and a series called Involving Children.
- Technical resources - This is a set of resources for technical staff and managers working to implement the ICS, including information outputs, information system design and system functionality.
- Phasing out the child protection register - Information on replacing the child protection register with the ICS child protection plan.
- Funding and implementation - This section provides information about the requirements for the ICS, the capital grant scheme and the pilot sites.
- Pilot studies - This page provides all of the progress reports from the pilot studies to date. The latest reports also contain up-to-date contact details.
Integrated Children's System Phase 1C Business Requirements Specification (June 2008)
Integrated Children's System Phase 1B Business Requirements Specification (May 2007)
ICS Readiness Review - Letter to Local Authorities (November 2006)
Integrated Children's System - Minimum Compliance Criteria
This document defines the criteria for the compliance of local integrated children's systems with each business requirement set out in Local Authority Circular (2005)3.
Updating the ICS to Reflect the National Minimum Standards for Children's Homes and Fostering Services (May 2007)
Download the contents of this page: as a Word Document
Last updated on 31/03/2010