Terms of Reference for the Correspondence Group for Passenger Ship Safety*
1. The Correspondence Group for Passenger Ship Safety should:
- prepare a comprehensive guide on recovery techniques (task 1)
- prepare guidelines on how the SAR services may best provide on-board support as an aid to incident containment, taking into account any existing memoranda of understanding addressing this subject (task 2)
- prepare contingency planning guidelines for co-operation between companies operating passenger ships in areas remote from SAR facilities and relevant SAR services, taking into account the explanation for place of safety. The correspondence group should also review MSC/Circ.1079 and suggest amendments if appropriate (task 4)
- develop functional requirements for SOLAS ships on systems used to recover persons from survival craft and from the water (task 5)
- prepare revised guidelines on the prevention and treatment of hypothermia, including a review of IMO publication Pocket Guide to Cold Water Survival (1992 edition) and recent information such as that found at http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/Tp10038/88-emerg-hypothermia.htm (task 7)
- identify concerns for SAR training for SAR service personnel working in major incidents and prepare recommendations as appropriate (task 8)**; and
- consider matter related to training of SAR personnel and seafarers with recovery responsibilities and advise MSC 81 accordingly (task 9).
2. The Correspondence Group should review the discussion on passenger ship safety as contained in the report of COMSAR 9 and, with a view to providing more clarifications, should:
- develop criteria for what constitutes an area remote from SAR facilities and advise MSC 81 accordingly (task 3)
- consider the outcome of the ICAO/IMO joint working group’s discussions on the recommendation to fit marine band radio equipment on maritime SAR aircraft and require the carriage of air band equipment on all SOLAS ships and advise MSC 81 (task 6); and
- prepare criteria to validate the five-day “time to recover” decision considering explanations of “place of safety” and “time to rescue” agreed by MSC 79 (task 10).
3. The Correspondence Group should submit its report to COMSAR 10 within the usual timeframes.
*COMSAR 9/WP.3/Add.1, annex 9
** See paragraphs 13 to 24 of MSC 79/WP13 for further guidance. These paragraphs may be found at Annex C.