Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Extended Payment of Council Tax Benefit

When you go back to work, work more hours or earn more money, some of your benefits may stop. To help you pay your Council Tax you may get an extra four weeks of Council Tax Benefit, called Extended Payment of Council Tax Benefit. Find out more, including who is eligible.

Who is eligible?

You don't have to claim an Extended Payment of Council Tax Benefit if you or your partner or civil partner (and they remain a partner throughout the claim) have stopped getting one of the benefits mentioned below because one of you is expected to do one of the following for five weeks or more:

  • return to work full-time
  • work more hours
  • earn more money

and you've been getting one of the following:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support or income-related Employment & Support Allowance or a combination of these benefits continuously for at least 26 weeks
  • Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance or contributory Employment & Support Allowance continuously for 26 weeks

Your local council will decide if you can get an Extended Payment of Council Tax Benefit after checking how long you have been getting the benefits mentioned above.

How much do you get?

Normally you'll get the same amount of Council Tax Benefit as you did before.

How it's paid

It's deducted from your Council Tax bill in the usual way.

What other help is available

If you are going back to work, your local council will also decide if you can get in-work Council Tax Benefit. Once your extended payment period has ended, you can move onto in-work Council Tax Benefit (provided you are entitled to it) without having to make a new claim.

How to appeal

If you are refused Council Tax Benefit or the Extended Payment or in-work Council Tax Benefit, you can ask your local council to look again at the decision.

If you're still unhappy with the outcome, you can appeal to an independent Appeal Tribunal.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Benefits advice online

Online benefits adviser

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Don't get bitten...

Have you been approached by a loan shark? You can report unlicensed lenders

Access keys