Purpose, vision and values
The AJTC’s purpose is to help make administrative justice and tribunals increasingly accessible, fair and effective by:
- playing a pivotal role in the development of coherent principles and good practice
- promoting understanding, learning and continuous improvement
- ensuring that the needs of users are central.
The AJTC’s vision for administrative justice and tribunals is a system where:
- those taking administrative decisions do so on soundly-based evidence and with regard for the needs of those affected;
- people are helped to understand how they can best challenge decisions or seek redress at least cost and inconvenience to themselves;
- grievances are resolved in a way which is fair, timely, open and proportionate;
- there is a continuous search for improvement at every stage in the process.
The values the AJTC seeks to promote in administrative justice and tribunals are:
- Openness and transparency
- Fairness and proportionality
- Impartiality and independence
- Equality of access to justice
The AJTC will also work collaboratively with others, basing its views on evidence and principle so as to encourage measurable improvement.