New committee members
Friday 22 February 2002
Chairman of the Food Standards Agency Sir John Krebs has announced the appointment of six new members of the independent Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP).
Welcoming the increase in the lay representation on this advisory committee, he said: 'In line with the Agency’s key objective of putting the consumer first, I am pleased to welcome two new consumer representatives onto this committee, together with new experts in ethics, molecular biology, nutrition and food technology. I am very grateful to them for agreeing to serve on this committee which provides invaluable advice to the Agency.'
The new members are:
- Miss Jill Brand and Dr Hillary Close, who will both be consumer representatives;
- Professor Ruth Chadwick, who is the ethicist;
- Dr Peter Lund, who is the molecular biologist;
- Professor Alan Malcolm who is an expert in nutrition; and
- Mr Neville Craddock, who joins the Committee as an expert in food technology and quality assurance.
The terms of appointment for all the new members expires on 31 December 2004. Sir John Krebs also thanked the outgoing members, Professor Michael Gasson, Reverend Professor Michael Reiss, Mrs Elizabeth Russell, Professor Tom Sanders and Professor Herbert Sewell, for their hard work on the Committee.