How to apply - A step by step guide
In this section you will find all the information, guidance and documents you will need to apply for a UK visa. Staff at our visa application centres can guide you through the application process in your country. For further information, we may also need to direct you to one of our other websites or the website of another organisation.
Please note that when visa regimes change, there may be a short delay before the information on our website is updated.
How to apply: A step by step guide to the visa application process
Before you apply
- Do you need a visa to travel to the UK?
- Do you require medical clearance (TB testing)?
- Read the guidance for the type of visa required for the purpose of your travel
- How long will the visa application process take?
Help with your application (advice from immigration advisers)
What you need to apply
- Visa fees
- Correct visa application form
- Supporting documents
- Photograph guidance for visa applicants (pdf document, opens in new window)
- Find your nearest visa application centre
The application process
- Check if you can apply online, make an online appointment or online payment
- Check with the nearest visa application centre about the visa application process available in your country
- Biometric data collection
Outcome of your application
- Your visa application was refused, can you appeal against this decision?
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How to contact us
- How to make a complaint
Customer satisfaction surveyWe are continually making improvements to the services that we provide to you. Let us know about your experience about making a visa application by completing our short customer satisfaction survey.
Playing by the rules
This pdf leaflet will help you to enjoy a trouble-free arrival in the UK and will explain some of the important rules you need to be aware of while you are here.