Logo for the Government Office for Yorkshire and The Humber Bridlington Harbour
About Us
Contact Us
A-Z Index
[ Office Locations ] [ Complaints Procedure ] [ Access to Information ]

Home > Contact Us > Access to Information

The contents of this website are under review following the formation of a new HM Government. Current information may be found at www.gonetwork.gos.gov.uk.

Access to Information

In the spirit of the Rights of Access legislation (Data Protection Act, Environmental Information Regulations and Freedom of Information Act) Government Office for the Yorkshire and The Humber affirms its commitment to fostering a culture of open access to information throughout our organisation.

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) enables you to access information we hold of which you are the subject. 

These requests have a £10 charge. A valid request is answered within 40 calendar days of being received. More information can be found at the Information Commission`s website, details of which can be found below.

The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) enables you to access information relating to:

air, water, land, natural sites, flora and fauna, built environment and health
The regulations also cover information relating to decisions or activities likely to affect any of these, including environmental protection and cost benefit analysis.

Enquiries can be made on the telephone or in writing and you should receive a response within 20 working days. In some cases the 20 working day limit can be extended if the request is for complex or high volumes of information. More information can be found at the Sustainable Development website below.

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) gives you a general right of access to information held by public authorities, including Government Office for Yorkshire and The Humber. The Act has created two rights:

to know if information exists
to have the information supplied on written request
More information can be found at the Information Commissioners website or the website of the Department For Constitutional Affairs.

Government Offices are required to:

  • maintain a ‘Publication Scheme’, which sets out the information that we will routinely make available. The Government Office Publication Scheme is part of the Publication Scheme of the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and can be found at the DCLG website, detials for which are listed below and which tell you whether we hold the information requested and provide it, or explain why it has not been provided, quoting the relevant exemption under the legislation
  • reply to you within 20 working days advise and assist you in making your request. We may contact you to clarify your request

Although there will be no charge for information that costs Government Office for Yorkshire and The Humber less than £600 to produce, we may request a fee if this limit is exceeded. If you do not wish to pay the fee, we can refuse to supply the information.

How to request information

Put your request in writing (this includes fax or email) to the individual concerned if you have their name. Or you can write to:

Information Officer

Government Office for Yorkshire and The Humber

1st Floor South


8 City Walk


LS11 9AT

State clearly what information is required and give your name and an address where we can contact you. Also please tell us in what format you would like to receive the information.

Internet links

  Text Only  |  Print View
  Advanced Search
  Feedback on this page
  Go to another region
Go to another region
  Go to National homepage
Access to Information in
 List item 1  North West
 List item 2  East of England
 List item 3  North East
 List item 4  West Midlands
 List item 5  South East
 List item 6  East Midlands
 List item 7  South West
 List item 8  London

WAI AAA conformance logo, link opens in a new window