We are working for a prosperous, sustainable, fair and healthy region with
a high quality of life and excellent life chances for all those people
living and/or working in the South East.
We do this by influencing national policy; strengthening and coordinating
regional strategies; and supporting and enabling local delivery.
We set out to help increase prosperity in the South East in a more
geographically sensitive way than is often possible at a national level. We
do this by supporting regional policies, helping to influence policy
development among the departments we represent, and by working in
partnership with local organisations in communities throughout the region,
including local authorities, Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnerships and
Local Strategic Partnerships. We aim to ensure that Government policy in
the region works.
The Government Office for the South East is led by a Regional Director, who
is supported by a management board. Deputy Regional Directors each have
responsibility for a theme or a place within the region as well as for a
specific area of Government policy such as sustainable growth and
affordable housing, community safety, community cohesion, sustainability
and climate change or improving outcomes for children.
We work on behalf of these Government departments:
- Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- Department for Education (DfE)
- Home Office (HO)
- Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Cabinet Office (CO)
- Department of Health (DH)
- Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)
HM Treasury (HMT)