Government Offices (GOs) work with Government departments and other partners to strengthen the economy in every region, working to reduce the gap in economic growth rates between the regions and ensure all regions are in the best position to recover from the economic downturn.
More information on the national picture
Our work includes:
- Sponsoring and monitoring the regional development agency One North East in delivering the goals and targets in the Regional Economic Strategy.
- Identifying and addressing barriers to economic growth particularly in the at risk areas in the region.
- Concentrating on improving the contribution of the five drivers of economic growth – employment, enterprise, investment, innovation and skills.
- Joining up delivery of government policies especially in those areas that affect business, particularly in planning, housing, transport and skills.
- Gathering business and economic intelligence and feeding this back to influence central government policy-making.
To achieve these aims we work with many partners, including:
- One North East
- Confederation of British Industry
- Northern Business Forum
- Institute of Directors
- EEF Northern
- Federation of Small Businesses
- Business and Enterprise North East
- Learning and Skills Council
- higher education institutions
- social and environmental partners.