contents of this website are under review following the formation of a
new HM Government. Current information may be found
Fact Files: West Midlands
* See Audit Commission web site for more. Council Tax bands were averaged from Parish Precepts.
Some recent achievements in the field of Health and
• A new £627m PFI funded hospital for University Hospitals of
Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust is expected to open in early 2010.
• The new £379m PFI-funded ‘Super’ hospital in Coventry
opened in July 2006.
• Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust opened its new
£70m mental health hospital complex and community facility in May
• £400m (including £306m PFI) scheme for University Hospital
of North Staffordshire NHS Trust is under construction. The first phase,
a £65m public-funded building that will house maternity and oncology
services, is due for completion in 2009.
• On 18 December 2007, the Department announced that Worcestershire PCT
would be receiving £19.3 million of funding to build a new community
hospital in Malvern.
• There are 6 NHS Walk-In Centres across the West Midlands - Birmingham,
Stoke, Rugby, Coventry, Walsall and Wolverhampton.
• Funding for the NHS in the West Midlands up from £4.7bn in 2003-04
to £7.8bn in 2008-09.