This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 0845 345 4 345
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back

Find a legal adviser in your area

Health and social care

Who can be sectioned under the Mental Health Act? What are your rights in choosing a care home? What can you do if you're caring for someone? Read on for information and advice.

Our top picks

Photograph of a woman at a doctors reception

Mental health

Being detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983 can be a frightening and confusing experience. Learn about your rights if you or someone you know is detained under the admission procedure commonly known as 'sectioning'.

Photograph of two retired women at a social club

Community care

If you or someone you know or look after finds it difficult to manage day-to-day living, you may be able to get help in the form of community care. Find out more.

Photograph of a father and daughter

Care proceedings

Your legal position if social services are concerned about your child's welfare and are considering care proceedings

photograph of a doctor washing his hands

Medical accidents

If you have had medical treatment that went wrong or didn't work properly, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries. Find out more.

Need advice now?

Call 0845 345 4 345 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top