The artist Jim Lambie created different floor installations using glossy tape in different colours. In one room he covered the entire floor with black and white stripes. His work completely transforms the shape and space of the room.
Jim Lambie Installation view, Turner Prize 2005 exhibition © Tate 2005
You are going to see if you can create a floor filled with exciting patterns by using stripes.
- Electrical tape in different colours.
- A panel of hardboard or a large piece of card.
- Coloured pencils or felt tips and paper.
- Try out some different designs with pens/pencils on paper first.
- Now try laying them against each other to see what sort of effects you get.
- When you are happy with your ideas build up your pattern on your board or card.
- Place your new piece of flooring somewhere where it can be enjoyed.
- You can buy electrical tape in any hardware store.
- Don’t be afraid to create patterns that cross, fold, clash and zigzag.
- Expand your floor as your go, adding more pieces of card or paper if you like.
- If your original work is on paper or card you could always stick it down on hardboard later.