Content on this site is under review following the formation of a new government.
Licensing policies and regulations for taxis and private hire services, including accessibility issues.
Department for Transport guidance to assist local licensing authorities in carrying out their taxi and private hire vehicle licensing functions.
- 02 March 2010
This report fulfils the Government’s commitment to evaluate the impact of the repeal of the PHV contract exemption. The repeal was included in the Road Safety Act 2006 and took effect in January 2008. The report contains evidence collected from stakeholders, explains the impact of the change and enables Government to consider what action it might take to address concerns.
- 04 February 2010
Guidance and information for private hire vehicle owners on how to get started, register and provide a local bus service.
- 30 November 2009
Advice to help persons who run a limousine hire business to operate within the law. Advice on correctly licensing a limousine to carry paying passengers with the appropriate authorities, and how to register it with DVLA.
- 22 September 2009
Guidance note to assist local licensing authorities and those who think that they might be affected by the changes to private hire vehicle licensing laws contained in sections 53 and 54 of the Road Safety Act 2006.
- 26 November 2007
A summary of the responses to the request made by DfT to local licensing authorities in England & Wales (outside London) who control taxi numbers to undertake a review of their policies.
- 19 October 2005
The following content is available from the Department for Transport web archive .
- Letter: Changes to Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Legislation in the Road Safety Act 2006
- Changes to Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Legislation in the Road Safety Act 2006
- Government Response to the OFT Report on the UK Taxi Market
- Local authority taxi and private hire licensing policies 2001: Accessibility
- Review of local transport plan taxi inputs
- Government Response to the Report on Regulation of Taxis CM 6183 (PDF - 103 KB)
For related documents, pages and internet links, see the column on the right.