Nitrates: Reducing water pollution from agriculture
Nitrate pollution is of concern because it has to be removed before water can be supplied to consumers, and it can harm the water environment. Over 60% of nitrate enters water from agricultural land.
Find out if you're in a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone and how to get a risk map.
- Help available for farmers in NVZs
- Read about diffuse pollution and what we're doing to address it
- How we're implementing the Nitrates Directive in England
- View the NVZ rules and make sure you're compliant
- Read about the higher Nitrogen limit for application of livestock manure
Page last modified: 9 May 2010
Page published: 27 June 2002