Environmental pollution can take many forms, such as the pollution of air, water or land.
Defra sets standards for things like air and water quality. We make regulations, often in-line with international or European standards, and work with regulators including the Environment Agency and local authorities, who monitor the environment and work to achieve the standards.
Pollution Prevention and Control (PPC)
- Pollution Prevention and Control is a regulatory regime for controlling pollution from certain industrial activities.
Specific types of pollution
Read more about our work to protect the environment from specific types of pollution:
- Air - monitoring air quality and levels of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants
- Water - protecting and monitoring the quality of inland and underground watercourses; diffuse sources of water pollution
- Marine - coastal waters and fisheries
- Land - measures to deal with contaminated land or soil
- Local environments - to reduce litter, noise and light pollution
Page last modified: 4 September 2009