We aim to encourage excellence in the arts in Wales and increase access for everyone.
© National Dance Company Wales, Roy Campbell-Moore
The challenge for the Welsh Assembly Government and arts providers is to increase participation in the arts amongst individuals and communities.
The Welsh Assembly Government's commitments for the Arts were stated in the 'One Wales' document in June 2007.
One Wales commitments
- We will establish a National English-language Theatre and explore the creation of a National Gallery for Wales.
- We will continue to implement the recommendations of the Wales Arts Review into the future development of the arts in Wales, so that there is a clear approach to setting strategic policy.
- We will support opportunities for Wales’s artistic producers to participate on the international stage.
- We will consider enshrining the concept of artistic freedom in Welsh law, subject to the Assembly’s new powers.
- We will support establishing a Kyffin Williams gallery.
- National Theatre Wales has been created. Its first production is scheduled for spring 2010. A report into the feasibility of creating a National Gallery identified costs that cannot be met in the short to medium term.
- The Kyffin Williams Gallery was officially opened on 18 July 2008.