Welcome to the Home Office's National CCTV Strategy website for stakeholders
New: The Policing Minister, David Hanson, has announced the appointment of the National CCTV Oversight Body and interim CCTV Regulator: National CCTV oversight body 148Kb.
About This Site
Closed circuit television (CCTV) enjoys considerable public support. We regularly see evidence of its use in making our streets safer, reducing the fear of crime and detecting serious offences.
The Home Office is committed to improving the use and effectiveness of public facing CCTV.
This website presents the aims and objectives of the National CCTV Strategy, providing the latest information on the implementation of recommendations by the National CCTV Strategy Board and definitive independent advice, support and best practice on installing and operating CCTV systems.
It also provides you with the latest news and views that will enable you to find out more and have your say in how recommendations are implemented.
What is the National CCTV Strategy?
The National CCTV Strategy presents the results of a wide-ranging review of CCTV in England and Wales and makes a series of recommendations.
Initially undertaken by a joint Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO)/Home Office project team, the Strategy is now supported by a multi agency programme board with representation from a number of stakeholders.
The Strategy supports and develops recommendations that will deliver:
1. effective, well managed CCTV, taking into account the role of the CCTV industry and the views of the public
2. best practice for partnerships between local authorities, CCTV operators, police officers and the emergency services - offering better protection to the public both as a deterrent and in the investigation of crime
3. better standards in CCTV operation and in the presentation of imagery
The National strategy PDF 374Kb
Have Your Say
The National CCTV Strategy Programme Board, represented by all key stakeholders, is in place to ensure that there is full cooperation, agreement and engagement on the strategy's implementation. We welcome your views and will do our best to address your queries.
New Additions to the Website
The Policing Minister, David Hanson, has announced the appointment of the National CCTV Oversight Body and interim CCTV Regulator, National CCTV oversight body 148Kb.
Hertfordshire CCTV Partnership Newsletters.
Hackney's public space CCTV operation (and the associated links) provides a good example of how a local authority can communicate to a wider audience. Their statistics page is particularly worth noting as good practice, as is their web page showing a day in the life of a CCTV operator.With thanks to Hackney Borough Council.
Links & Downloads
Programme Board Minutes
Every effort is taken to ensure that the information contained on the National CCTV Strategy webpage is both accurate and complete. However, the NPIA, the Home Office and its contributors cannot guarantee that all of the information is consistent with current practice.
This material on the National CCTV Strategy webpage is:
- not intended to address the specific circumstances of any particular individual or entity.
- not necessarily comprehensive, complete, accurate or up-to-date.
- sometimes linked to external sites over which the content owners have no control.
- not professional or legal advice (if you need specific advice, you should always consult a suitably qualified professional).
The NPIA, the Home Office and its contributors accept no responsibility or liability whatsoever for any unforeseen consequences or loss with regard to the material on this site.
By viewing and/or downloading any of the material on this site you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of this disclaimer.