Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Moving back to the UK: checklist

From enrolling your children into schools to sorting out your tax situation, here are some of the things you should think about when preparing to move back to the UK.

Tax, benefits, pensions and National Insurance

  • tell HM Revenue & Customs when you will be coming back, and find about your tax liability on returning to the UK
  • check with the country you are living in about any tax you may owe before you leave
  • for National Insurance contributions, contact the HM Revenue & Customs National Insurance Contributions Office (International Services)
  • get in touch with the Department for Work and Pensions regarding your pension and benefits, giving them details of your return move and your contact details abroad and in the UK


  • register with a GP and a dentist in the UK
  • notify any private medical insurance and travel insurance companies with which you have policies
  • inform your GP, dentist and other health practitioners in the country you are leaving, and see if your records can be sent to your new health professionals in the UK

Your home

  • arrange to sell your property or end its lease as appropriate, and sort out removals
  • contact the local council in the area you want to move to - its council tax department and the electoral registration unit will need to know when you will be returning to the UK and your UK address
  • notify your utility companies abroad that you are moving and give them a forwarding address, so they can send you final bills and information on any outstanding payments or refunds; you will also need to set up accounts for utility services once you have found a property in the UK
  • tell your bank, building society or any financial institution with whom you have a policy or agreement that you are moving
  • have your mail forwarded

Your children

  • notify the school authorities that you are leaving the country
  • before returning to the UK, contact the relevant local education authority regarding school places

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • We want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • Your comments will help us improve our pages
  • They will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • Telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Budget 2010

Directgov brings you all you need to know about the 2010 Budget

Access keys