Jump to content

Cash support

This page explains how an asylum applicant may qualify for help with living expenses, and how this money is paid.

If you are homeless or without money to buy food (we call this 'destitute') you may qualify for free housing and financial help, known as cash support. If you do, your case owner will arrange for you to collect this money each week from a post office near where you live. See Applying for support for information on how to apply and to download the application form.

You will need to show your application registration card at the post office each time you collect your money. Without your card, you will not be able to collect any payments.

The amount of money you receive will depend on your circumstances, such as your age and whether you are single or part of a family. For details, see Current support amounts.

If you are a woman who is pregnant or has children under the age of three, you are entitled to extra money. See Extra money for mothers and children for more details.