Jump to content

Contacting us

If you live in the United Kingdom

You can download application forms and guides from the Applying section.

If you are a United Kingdom resident and you have an enquiry about British citizenship or right of abode, you can telephone the nationality contact centre on 0845 010 5200. For opening hours and other information, see the Contact centres page.

If you call the nationality contact centre, you will have an option to speak to an adviser:

  • about general enquiries regarding British citizenship and right of abode; or
  • to request application forms.

If you require an application form and associated guide, you should select option 1. Agents on this line distribute forms and guides but will not be able to answer any enquiries.

As well as guides to applying for citizenship, we have published a range of leaflets covering nationality-related topics. You can download these from our Information leaflets page.

If you are a United Kingdom resident and you have an enquiry that is not not covered by our extensive range of forms, guides and leaflets, you can e-mail us at ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk . It may take up to 10 days for us to respond to your e-mail.

  • The application guides contain information about exemptions from the 'knowledge of English and life in the United Kingdom' requirements and other requirements.
  • We will not be able to advise you by telephone whether you will be exempted from the knowledge of English or life in the United Kingdom requirements, or any other requirement where you may wish us to exercise discretion.
  • For other enquiries that do not relate to British citizenship or right of abode, you should contact one of our other contact centres.

If you live abroad

If you live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, you should contact the Lieutenant Governor's office.

If you live in a British overseas territory, you should consult the Governor's office.

If you are elsewhere overseas, you should contact the appropriate British diplomatic post.

You can telephone direct from abroad on + 44 151 672 5626. Phone lines are open 0900 to 1700 Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.

Duplicate certificates of citizenship, registration or naturalisation

The UK Border Agency does not retain records of the grant of British citizenship (citizenship of the United Kingdom and colonies or British subject status) prior to October 1986. If you want to request a duplicate certificate for a grant made from that date, you should use the request form which you can download from the right side of this page.

Duplicate certificates of registration (from January 1949 to October 1986) and of naturalisation (from 1870 to May 1969) are held by the National Archives. To find out how to obtain certified copies of these certificates, visit the National Archives website.

Duplicate certificates of naturalisation between June 1969 and October 1986 are not available, as they have not been retained.