G7 Senior Technical Architect
Summary Information for vacancy - reference PROG6203
Identity and Passport Service (IPS)
£49034 - £62881 Per Annum
City of Westminster, Greater London, London
Durham, North East
Belfast City, Northern Ireland
City of Glasgow, Scotland
19 April 2010
No of vacancies
Field of work
The primary purpose of the Senior Technical Architect is to facilitate the implementation of, and provide support for, a cohesive technical architecture to support the National Identity Service (NIS) Programme, ensuring consistency and co-ordination of the end to end Technical Architecture.
• The successful candidate can be based in one of our regional offices (Liverpool, Durham, Southport, Peterborough, Belfast and Glasgow) but will be required to travel extensively on a weekly basis to London and to supplier sites in the South East.
• Salary is dependant on location:
London - £54,679 - £62,881 / National - £49,034 - £56,389
· Ensuring the technical architecture fits within the wider Scheme Architecture and related business and technical strategies, standards and policies it is designed to support.
· Working with NIS suppliers to ensure their solutions conform to the Scheme Architecture.
· Addressing systems integration issues.
· Identification and resolution of any gaps in the end to end architecture.
· Development of technical strategies and standards.
· Ensuring use of standard architectural frameworks.
· Assisting the Lead Technical Architect to ensure that the end-to-end technical architecture for the NIS is defined, agreed and approved and that it remains aligned with the organisation's Business Architecture, Information Governance Principles and overall strategic direction.
· Ensuring sign-off of key technical principles underpinning the technical architecture.
· Providing guidance, support and direction to all parts of the Scheme to ensure continued alignment with the technical architecture.
· Ensuring that appropriate reporting and management information is provided to the Lead Technical Architect to support decision making of the CIO and governance boards.
· Managing a team of Technical Architects and technical assurance support staff; either directly or on a matrix management basis for those staff embedded within project teams.
· Professional Leadership - responsible for actively providing support and professional development for self and team.
Part 1: Essential Experience / Knowledge:
1. Experience of working on the end to end technical architecture for large-scale or complex IT programmes
Part 2: Essential Skills:
2. Technical Architecture: Level 5 (derived from the SFIA Framework )
Uses appropriate tools, including logical models and interfaces to contribute to the development of systems architecture. Produces detailed architectural and technical component specifications and translates these into detailed designs for implementation using selected products. Provides advice on technical aspects of systems development and integration (including requests for changes, deviations from specifications etc) and ensures that relevant technical strategies, policies, standards and practises are applied correctly.
3. Systems Design: Level 5 (derived from the SFIA Framework)
Specifies and designs large and/or complex systems. Selects appropriate design standards, methods and tools and ensures that they are applied effectively. Reviews others’ system design to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology. Establishes policy for selection of architecture components. Evaluates and undertakes impact analysis on major design options. Ensures that the system architecture balances functional, service quality and systems management requirements.
· Experience of working with recognised architectural methodologies (e.g. Zachman, TOGAF etc)
· Experience of working within a large, complex public sector IT programme and/or public sector IT procurement
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
Existing Civil Servants:
If you currently are a civil servant, please apply for the role via the following link: Vacancies.ips.gov.uk
Non Existing Civil Servants:
If you are not currently a civil servant, please apply for the role via the following link: Careers.ips.gov.uk