G7 Senior Test and Assurance Manager
Summary Information for vacancy - reference PROG6196
Identity and Passport Service (IPS)
£54679 - £62881 Per Annum
City of Westminster, Greater London, London
19 April 2010
No of vacancies
Field of work
Working either within one of the key programmes or one of the central integration functions that make up the National Identity Service (NIS) Programme, you will be responsible for all assurance, test and acceptance activities including the development of overarching programme test strategies, sign off of test documentation and witness assurance of test activities.
This post holder will need to interact across all the projects and the wider NIS programme to ensure that all assurance, test and acceptance requirements are in the associated contracts and discharged successfully.
• Create, maintain and implement an overarching Test Strategy for the assigned programme.
• Undertake detailed analysis of testing requirements and ensure they are fully included within programme and supplier plans.
• Interface with key stakeholders in ensuring that the testing and implementation elements of the Programme meet their requirements
• Liaise with technical leads to ensure that assurance, test and acceptance requirements accommodate interdependences in the programme and also external interdependencies
• Carry out quality assurance reviews or evaluation of suppliers’ documentation including test strategies, test plans, test scripts and project management documentation
• Lead the detailed analysis of all test results to help inform business decisions
• Assure the production and execution of integration, end-to-end and performance test plans/test scripts is carried out consistent across business processes and systems boundaries.
• Support and manage the escalation and resolution of issues escalated from the test team and test governance bodies
• Ensure qualitative and contextual test assurance reports are produced to inform business decisions.
• Manage test resources and co-ordinate subject matter expertise and end user resources to input to the test planning, preparation, assurance and execution activities and outputs.
• Professional Leadership: Responsible for actively providing support and professional development for self and team
Note: An employee may be required to carry out other duties within the scope of the grade and within the limits of their skill, competence and training.
1. Significant experience of successful test execution / management within complex IT programmes
2. Testing: Level 5 (from the SFIA framework)
Coordinates and manages planning of the system and acceptance tests within a development or integration project or programme. Identifies process improvements, contributes to corporate testing standards and definition of best practice.
3. Business Process Testing: Level 5 (derived from the SFIA framework)
Designs and manages tests of new and updated processes. Understands whole lifecycle testing (e.g. using a model office concept). Manages the selection / creation of the relevant scenarios for testing and ensures that tests reflect realistic operational business conditions. Ensures that tests and results are documented, reported to stakeholders and are available for specification of user instructions.
4. Methods and Tools: Level 5 (from the SFIA framework)
Promotes and ensures use of appropriate techniques, methodologies and tools.
5. Stakeholder Relationship Management: Level 5.5 (derived from the SFIA framework)
Initiates and influences relationships with and between key stakeholders. Acts as a single point of contact for senior stakeholders and influencers. Initiates procedures to improve relations and open communications with and between stakeholders.
6. Systems Integration: Level 4 (from the SFIA framework)
Defines the integration build, accepts software models from software developers and produces software builds for loading on to the target environment. Configures the hardware environment, produces integration test specifications and conducts tests, recording details of any failures and carrying out fault diagnosis.
• Experience of working within a matrix managed environment.
• Knowledge and exposure to OGC or equivalent governance processes.
CRB check required - No
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
If you are currently a civil servant, please apply for the role via the following link:
If you are not currently a civil servant, please apply for the role via the following link: