Finance Support Manager
Summary Information for vacancy - reference IDEV/B3/2370
Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED)
WC2B 6SE, City of London, Greater London, London
12 April 2010
19 April 2010
No of vacancies
Field of work
Ofsted is a non-ministerial Government Department. Inspection Development aims to develop world class inspection methodology that drives improvement through the system with a clear focus on the user. It is organised in three broad areas of expertise: Social Care, Education & Care, and Learning & Skills. Each area is led by a Development Director who develops national expertise on one of these areas and leads on a flexible portfolio of work.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Directorate Support, this post will support the key day to day finance processes of the directorate including ensuring that invoices are raised and payments made accurately, on time and charged to the appropriate budget. You will work with the senior manager, directorate support, in monitoring directorate expenditure and financial processes, identifying possible risks and providing reports to the directors on issues such as potential under/overspends. According to the capability of the individual appointed, there is the opportunity to take a wider role in the directorate’s work including the preparation of financial reports and business cases.
- Use of Ofsted’s financial packages and associated IT systems to undertake financial and payment processes.
- Strong communication and IT skills using systems such as Sharepoint and Microsoft Office packages to support the efficient management of the Directorate’s finances.
- Strong interpersonal skills to ensure effective oral and written communication at all levels both internal and external to support the effective management of the Directorate’s finances.
- Produce accurate and reliable work.
- Possible line management of administrative support staff
- To work in accordance with Ofsted’s policies and procedures and values.
- To contribute to organisational development initiatives as required.
- To adhere to responsibilities under health & safety legislation and policies.
- To demonstrate a positive commitment to equalities and diversity.
- To contribute to building a “One Ofsted” culture.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including resolution of issues with service providers or dissatisfied customers.
- Good administrative and/or organisational skills for the day to day control of work and / or processes.
- Good IT skills, where required to be an expert user of specific software or applications.
- Good management skills, where required to line manage staff or manage suppliers.
- Ability to prioritise and make decisions, following clear procedures and using initiative to develop new working methods.
- Ability to take decisions that impact beyond own job or immediate area after consultation with more senior colleagues.
- Ability to function well as a team member.
- Understanding and successful application of administrative and/or organisational skills.
- Understanding of basic financial processes.
- Understanding and successful application of IT skills, where required to be an expert user of specific software or applications; good understanding of Microsoft Office applications (including Excel) is essential and SharePoint would be an advantage, but training can be provided.
- Success in meeting operational targets and objectives within well-defined policies and frameworks.
CRB check required - Yes
Regulated by OCSC - Yes
Reserved for existing civil servants - No
Reserved for UK nationals - No
How to apply
To view vacancies and download an application pack please visit www.careers.ofsted.gov.uk. The closing date is Monday 12 April 2010 (5pm). You should clearly mark your application with the correct reference number IDEV/B3/2370. For details about the application process, please contact Bunny Rokkett on 0161 618 8411. For further information about the role, please contact Matthew Reed on 0207 421 6698 or by email at email@example.com.
10031030457_Final - Job spec 2370.pdf
10031030603_HR001 AP02 Application Equalities Monitoring Form April 08.doc
10031030648_HR001 AP08 LMA Form.doc
10031030543_HR001 AP01 Application Form EXTERNAL (electronic) final.doc
10031030630_HR001 AP05 Guaranteed Interview Scheme Form.doc
10031030614_HR001 AP03 Guidance Notes on Application Process EXTERNAL Oct 09.doc