This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Radio communication equipment for pleasure craft

If you use pleasure craft, you need good radio skills in case you have to contact the coastguard or another boat for assistance. To help you stay safe at sea, find out about the equipment you need and how to get radio training.

Carry the right equipment for your voyage

If you don't take your boat more than 30 nautical miles off the UK coast, you'll need to carry the following communication equipment:

  • a very high frequency (VHF) radio, preferably equipped with digital selective calling (DSC)
  • a Navtex receiver
  • an emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB)

DSC, Navtex and EPIRBs are components of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) - the international communication safety system for ships at sea.

It's used for all types of communication, including:

  • emergency and distress messages
  • ship-to-ship
  • ship-to-shore communications

Some vessels, like commercial vessels over 300 gross tonnage, must fit GMDSS equipment. You're not legally required to have it for your pleasure craft, but it's highly recommended that you have some components, like a VHF radio with DSC.

Very high frequency (VHF) radio

At the very least, you should have a VHF radio on board your pleasure craft. This means that you can communicate with the coastguard or another boat if you get into difficulty. Safety information, like weather information and navigational warnings, is also broadcast over VHF by the coastguard.

You can contact HM Coastguard Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centres (MRCCs) on VHF within 20-30 miles of the coast.

VHF radios with digital selective calling (DSC)

Most modern VHF radios now come with DSC, which is a tone signalling system that operates on VHF channel 70. You can make routine calls to other boats or MRCCs with DSC by using their unique nine digit identification number (maritime mobile service identity or MMSI).

The MMSI numbers for MRCCs in the UK are given below.

MRCCs by location and their MMSI numbers
Aberdeen 002320004
Belfast 002320021
Brixham 002320013
Clyde 002320022
Dover 002320010
Falmouth 002320014
Forth 002320005 
Holyhead 002320018 
Humber  002320007 
Liverpool 002320019 
Milford Haven  002320017 
Portland 002320012
Shetland 002320001
Solent  002320011
Stornoway  002320024 
Swansea 002320016 
Thames 002320009 
Yarmouth 002320008 

In an emergency, you can use DSC to send important information about your boat and your situation at the touch of a button.

Navtex receivers and emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs)

With a Navtex receiver, you'll be able to automatically receive international maritime safety information, including:

  • navigational warnings
  • weather forecasts and warnings
  • search and rescue notices

Most receivers allow you to either record or print the information.


An EPIRB is a type of locator beacon, which transmits a one-way distress signal via satellite. In an emergency, for example if your boat is sinking, the EPIRB can be activated manually or automatically. It will send its position to the nearest MRCC. Some EPIRBs also provide a homing beacon, which helps search and rescue teams to locate your boat.

You need to register your EPIRB so that full details of your boat are known if it's activated. Registration is free - do it online or download an application form.

Communication equipment for offshore voyages

If you take your boat more than 30 nautical miles off the UK coast, you'll need to carry additional communication equipment.

Satellite telephone

This is a type of mobile phone that connects to satellites instead of the normal telephone network. You can use satellite telephones at sea where mobile phones are out of range. Satellite phones also use international standard dialing codes and telephone numbers. This means that you can pre-programme the phone contacts menu with the telephone numbers of the MRCCs you might need to contact in an emergency.

Medium frequency (MF) and high frequency (HF) radios

These are like VHF radios, but work in different areas further away from the coast. MF works up to 150 nautical miles away from the coast and HF works worldwide, depending on atmospheric conditions and the frequency in use.

Inmarsat C

This satellite system allows you to send and receive high-speed data, email and telephone messages via satellite when you are out of range of land communications.

Radio licences and training

As an owner of a pleasure craft, you'll need two radio licences:

  • a Ship Radio Licence
  • a Short Range Certificate

A Ship Radio Licence is needed for all VHF radios with or without DSC. When you receive your licence, you are issued with a call sign that uniquely identifies your vessel and is recognisable worldwide. You use your call sign to identify your vessel when communicating with the coastguard and other boats. If you have DSC, you should also request an MMSI when you get your licence.

To apply for a free Ship Radio Licence, visit the Ofcom website.

A Short Range Certificate licenses the operator to use the VHF radio. You must not send general transmissions on VHF without one. If you have DSC, you'll need a DSC endorsement on your certificate. To use MF, HF and satellite communications equipment, you'll need a Long Range Certificate.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • We want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • Your comments will help us improve our pages
  • They will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • Telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Register your boat with the coastguard

Join HM Coastguard's voluntary safety identification scheme - if you get into difficulty, the coastguard will have information about your boat to help identify you

If you have a boating accident

You must report any accident on your pleasure craft in UK waters to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) as soon as possible.

The MAIB has a special accident reporting line - 023 8023 2527

Access keys